Shortcutting the promotion of Mexico’s yellow slipper
This is an industry geared post.
Instead of focusing on the lack of the round fruit the orchards are currently yielding into an empty pipeline, a problem that will take a little more time to fix and stabilize; focus on the mango abundance that the orchards are currently giving ~ Ataulfo mangoes! It’s a great time to either examine and improve your existing organic Ataulfo program or think about implementing one. We have time, quality product and the support you need.
The Crespo Ataulfo program is robust; carpe diem.
The buttery smooth Ataulfo flesh makes them extremely versatile for cooking and eating and they are easy to please consumers price wise with sizing at 12/14/16/18. Not only do we take sizing and quality seriously but we have invested in the consistency of volume necessary to build sales and ongoing national programs. The Crespo Organic seasons starts in late January and moves through the middle to end of August, so its also long one- worthy of some attention, especially as Ataulfos take off as the fastest growing organic varietal among consumers. And especially now as the Tommy’s are scarce and California’s stone fruit late do to the crazy rains. Retailers looking for something promote worthy need to look no further than the Crespo Organic Ataulfo mango!
We have everything that you need for success including price. They go on sale starting next week through Cinco De Mayo
Download our Interactive Cinco De Mayo #CelebrateMexico #Celebrate Mangoes guide.
Our Crespo Organic content toolset offers retailers a full spectrum of creative resources that will stimulate and entice purchases at store level and educate and arouse virtually. Ataulfo mangoes go on sale today with 16/18 sizes being most ample. Brush up on your Ataulfo Marketing 101 for optimal virtual and in-store success!
First it’s a good idea to start with our bas MANGO ANATOMY 101 isn’t a bad idea ever.)
Here’s To Health
New research on varietals has proven the Ataulfo (#dontcallmehoney) mango is the powerhouse within the medley of main varietals imported into the USA. If the mango is a superfood, the Ataulfo is the superhero. More benefits are coming to light every day and most suspect that this varietal will continue to dominate in terms of health benefits.
- Provide more than 200% the daily recommend need (they have more than 4X as much Vitamin C as round varietals.
- More carotenoids than round varietals. Carotenoids, which help fight against disease. Carotenoids show up as bright pigments, which explains the ultra-vibrant yellow-gold hues of the Ataulfo.
- More Beta-Carotene than the round varietals and supplies more than 100% of the daily Vitamin A needs.
- The massive amount of Vitamin C (a water-soluble vitamin that enables the body to absorb plant based irons) makes this an exceptional mango to add to plant based diets, anemics or post-menopausal women in need of iron.
- Lots more research being compiled, mango nutrition is still a relatively new field.
Not to mention they have all the other health benefits of the “general mango”
It’s no secret that this is one of the favorite varietals inside the Crespo Organic Kitchen. The most popular recipe we have created to date has been our Crespo Sinaloa Sauce and I will freely admit that the recipe doesn’t provide the same perfection when using other varietals. I will also be so bold to say that when the Sinaloa Ataulfos are on, it’s the best! I think the unique flavor and texture of Ataulfos makes them incredible to use, not just in sauces but in cooking in general.
- Unique flavor profile: Tropical, rich, buttery caramel-sweet. Tinge of spicy chili undertones.
- The only fiberless main-stream varietal from Mexico and the only organic one imported into the USA.
- Small, thin pit- easiest to cut.
- Has more depth of flavor than the other varietals
My second favorite varietal to cook with is the perfumy haden!
Obstacles to Overcome
I’m not going to lie, there are some major obstacles to overcome on this varietal at the consumer level and it aint the pronunciation! With our strong retail and wholesaler partnerships we have been able to overcome all of them; it takes intention and attention. Ataulfos, unlike the other varietals, taste bitter until they are fully ripe so consumers must try them when ready to eat. If they bite into an Ataulfo before its ready consumers are often deterred from further purchasing. Round varietals taste tart but not bitter when green. Furthering this problem, the Ataulfo, when fully ripe, gets very wrinkly and some would say downright ugly. They tend to get more stained from sap than the round varietals. We have found that with new mango consumers produce education at the Point of Sale- really helps and is a must for this varietal to fly into carts. Tastings and virtual support are big educators. We’ve also found that when consumers do buy and try this varietal and know how to choose, store, cut and use this varietal, they seek it out again and again.
- Can only be eaten when ripe or very ripe, they are bitter when green.
- They turn very wrinkled when ripe.
- More staining is typical on the outside skin with this varietal, but that doesn’t affect the inside.
- Cutting ripe Ataulfos isn’t the same. The popular HedgeHog method becomes difficult for many- knowing the other methods helps consumers successfully cut mangoes.
- Education on #UGLY fruit and It’s Whats on the Inside That Counts is key to increased sales.
Travel and storage temps are a gigantic problem in Ataulfo mangoes. In particular all throughout the mid-west where produce circulates with longer and colder routes and where many retailers are still storing and displaying them in coolers. Ataulfo mangoes are extremely cold sensitive. When they travel and are stored below 55 degrees their flesh turns blackish and their sweet flavor bitter. I can personally attest to buying mango after mango after mango here in Missouri that is black inside and of course awful tasting. All of these mangoes were displayed in cold 40 degree coolers. If you want a successful Ataulfo program, you must make sure the proper temperatures are observed for travel, storage and display.
This season we launched a new campaign Ataulfo Mangoes; Sweet & Picky! (We’re Tropical, We Hate the Cold!) The campaign aims to utilize not only the Crespo mango expertise, but the expertise of Crespo strong partners in emphasizing and educating on the importance of proper transport, storage and merchandising handling for optimal program results and varietal (sales) growth. Read our strong partnership advice on best Ataulfo practices and trust us, these folks know!
Marketing and Merchandising
How about a Mango Seminar for your staff to get motivation and excitement pumping? We have that too! (Email me…. email@example.com)
Download anything you need for mango marketing Right Here ?